2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tsp soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 and a 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 and a 1/2 cups shredded apples
3/4 cups coconut
1/2 cup dates or raisins
1/2 cup nuts
1 cup oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Combine dry ingredients. Add rest of ingredients and mix. Bake at 375 degrees in muffin tins for 18 minutes or more.
1 red onions, cut into quarters
2 medium sized sweet potatoes, cut into 1” dice
3 beets, cut into 1” dice
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1” dice
4 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1” dice
2 cups celery root, cut into 1” dice
½ small rutabaga, cut into 1” dice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp balsamic reduction (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Toss veggies in a large bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper. Divide between two large baking sheets. Bake in top and bottom third of oven, for 45 min., rotating sheets and flipping vegetables halfway through.
3. Drizzle with balsamic reduction before serving.
This recipe is perfect alongside Chicken Marvelosa. It comes from our friend Norene Gilletz’s book Norene’s Healthy Kitchen (Whitecap books), and is the ideal side dish to serve at a family gathering. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the carrots, or add a dash of honey for the High Holidays.
1 large onion, sliced
2 lb (1 kg) carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch lengths
3 to 4 cloves garlic (about 3 to 4 tsp minced)
2 to 3 Tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9- × 13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place the onion, carrots, and garlic in the prepared baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste; mix well. For best results, the carrots should be in a single layer in the dish.
3. Roast, uncovered, for 45 to 60 minutes or until golden and tender, stirring the carrots occasionally. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Yield: 6 servings. Keeps for up to 2 days in the refrigerator; reheats well. Don’t freeze.
Find variations on the recipe here. Thanks Norene!