1/2 watermelon, diced into bite-sized cubes
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped mint
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
Pinch of salt & pepper
1. In a large bowl toss together watermelon, feta and mint. Tip mixture onto a large serving platter.
2. In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon, salt and pepper.
2 cups finely crushed pretzels
¼ cup sugar
½ cup butter, melted
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese
1 pkg (8 oz) cool whip
¼ cup sugar
1 pkg (6 oz) Strawberry Jello
2 cups boiling water
1 ½ cups cold water
4 cups sliced strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Mix crushed pretzels with sugar and butter. Press mixture evenly into prepared baking dish. Press with the back of a spoon or measuring cup. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
3. With an electric mixer beat together cream cheese, cool whip and sugar until well combined and smooth. Spread mixture evenly over cooled pretzel base. Refrigerate while you make the top layer.
4. In a large bowl mix together Jello powder with boiling water. Whisk well to combine and have powder completely dissolve. Whisk in cold water. Refrigerate for about 1 hour, or until thickened slightly. Stir in sliced strawberries. Pour over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate until completely set, about 3 to 4 hours. Slice into squares to serve.
2 small plain goat cheese logs, very cold
3/4 cup panko crumbs
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
8 cups packed baby spinach, arugula or mache
Slice each goat cheese log into 6 1/2″ rounds. Whisk eggs in a shallow bowl. Pour panko into another bowl. Dip cheese rounds into egg, then in panko until well coated. Place on a large plate. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, 2 hours, or overnight.
Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium high. Add 2 tbsp oil, then 3 frozen cheese rounds. Cook until golden, about 2 min per side. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining cheese.
Whisk remaining 2 tbsp oil with vinegars and salt in a large bowl. Season with fresh pepper. Add greens, and toss until coated. Divide amongst 6 plates. Top each with one or two rounds of cheese.
from Rebecca Y.’s book, Sautee-Nacoochee, GA
3 to 3-1/2 lbs. red sweet potatoes
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup sweet green onion with tops, thinly sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp each of salt and ground white pepper
2 to 3 dashes tabasco sauce
Peel, wash and cut sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. They should measure 8 cups. Place cubes with 1 cup water into a microwave-proof dish. Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high, stirring 3 or 4 times, for 15 to 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain and cool. Add all other ingredients along with the dressing and toss gently.
Whisk mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, salt, pepper and tabasco sauce until smooth. Makes one cup.
Submitted by: Rebecca Y