Last revised FEBRUARY 20, 2020
- Personal information that we collect and how we collect it. The personal information we collect depends on how you use our Site and services. For example, we collect personal information like name, email address, password, billing and shipping address, and payment information as well as any other information you provide. If you choose to invite someone to our Site, you may only invite people who are your friends or family and you must have their permission to provide their name and email address to us.
- When we share personal information. We may disclose information to service providers, such as payment processors, that assist us with the purposes set out in this policy. We may also share personal information for advertising purposes, and to protect our rights, and those of others.
- How we collect information using technology. We use technologies, including cookies web analytic tools, beacons, and pixel tags, to collect information such as domain name, time of visit, pages of our Site visited and what features and links are clicked or used, what advertisements are viewed or interacted with, how you interact with our communications, IP address, Internet Service Provider, operating system, web browser, and the website visited immediately before coming to our Site. We may use this information, and personal information, to manage our Site, diagnose any technical problems, track click streams, measure, monitor, and report on website traffic and page views, language preference, how visitors arrive at our Site and interact with our content, determine which of advertisements are the most effective, and remember you as you navigate through our Site, and if you return too it, and improve the content of our Site. We may also use and share this information to assess the effectiveness of our advertising and website and to make our advertising more relevant and to serve advertising to you on our site or other sites (custom audiences) or to people who may be like our customers (look alike modeling).
- How to Opt-Out of certain uses of your Personal Information. You can opt out of certain of our practices, including some online targeted advertising, and our commercial email.
- Security. We use technical, contractual, physical, and administrative security measures to help protect the personal information in our possession, but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any personal information you provide to us.
- We may transfer personal information outside your country . By providing us with personal information, you understand and expressly agree that we may transfer some or all of that information to be stored or processed on servers located outside of Canada, including in the United States.
- How to Access and Correct your Personal Information. Subject to certain limits, you may access, review, and request correction to the personal information of yours that we hold.
- Parental Permission. We do not intend to collect personal information about children under 13. If you provide us with the personal information of another person who is above 13, but under the age of majority, you must have the consent of their parents/legal guardian to do so.
- How to Contact Us. You may contact us at [email protected]
1. Personal information that we collect and how we collect it
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual, such as your name, address, your telephone number or email address ("personal information").
The personal information we may collect depends on how you choose to use our Site and services.
We collect personal information when you voluntarily provide it through our Site, or when you provide it to us through other means. For example, Heritage collects personal information when you:
- Register an account on the Site, we collect your full name, your email address, and your chosen password. You may also provide your mailing address and phone number.
- Place an order, we collect your full name, billing and shipping address, telephone number and email address. We will also need your payment information, such as your credit card information. Please note that Heritage uses a third party to process credit card transactions.
- Subscribe to a mailing list/request a newsletter, we collect your name, email address and mailing address.
- Contact us we, collect the contact information you provide for our reply, as well as any information you include in your communication.
- Agree to share your recipes with Heritage and our community of fans, we collect the information you choose to include in your shared recipes, public postings, and/or testimonials. Because we cannot control how other parties collect or use information that appears online, we recommend you be careful in choosing to post information about yourself.
- Provide us with the name and contact information of a contributor you would like to contribute a recipe. You may only provide the information of contributors who are your friends or family and you must have their permission to provide their name and email address to us. You may only provide email addresses of friends with whom you have had direct voluntary two way communications, and with whom it is reasonable to conclude you have a personal relationship considering shared interests, experiences, opinions and other relevant factors. You may only provide email addresses of family members to whom you are related by marriage, a common-law partnership, or parent-child relationship, and with whom you have had direct voluntary two way communications.
- Otherwise provide us with personal information.
If you ever submit personal information from another person, you must have their consent to do so.
2. How we use personal information
We use your registration information to create your account and provide you with access to the services we provide including our cookbook building tool and to provide you with a quick and simple checkout experience. We use the email address you provide to validate your account by sending you a confirmation message. You can also receive special promotions and other benefits, such as information about new product introductions and special events.
Placing an order.
When placing an order, whether as a registered member or as a contributor invited to submit recipes to an account holder’s book, we use the information you provide to process your order and for internal purposes such as understanding and the needs and wants of our users (such as when they signed on, how many recipes they used or added, how many orders they placed), improving our Service, and record keeping. For example, we use your information to process your payment, and deliver your order. We may use any contact information you provide to contact you to help fulfill your order. Also note that Heritage uses a third party to print all books. No credit card information is stored on our Site or with our printer.
Inviting other Contributors.
Our Site may include a tool that allows users to invite other individuals to become users, and/or submit recipes. If you choose to invite a new user/contributor, you may only provide the name and email addresses of friends or family if you have received permission to provide their name and email address to Heritage. You may only provide email addresses of friends with whom you have had direct voluntary two way communications, and with whom it is reasonable to conclude you have a personal relationship considering shared interests, experiences, opinions and other relevant factors. You may only provide email addresses of family members to whom you are related by marriage, a common-law partnership, or parent-child relationship, and with whom you have had direct voluntary two way communications.
Each friend or family member you invite will be sent an email asking them to join the Site. This message will indicate that it has been sent on your behalf and will identify you, and include any message you choose to send to the person you invite.
Joining a mailing list.
If you request to join our mailing list, we will take your name and email address. Once we have collected this information, you will receive our email alerts, informing you of news and special offers (including any promotional offers from third parties made through our newsletter). You can remove yourself from our email list at any point by emailing [email protected] or clicking “unsubscribe” in the commercial emails sent to you.
Contacting a Contributor.
If you provide us with the name and contact information of a friend or family member you would like to submit a recipe, we send that person an email asking they to join the Site and share their recipe. This message will indicate that it has been sent on your behalf and will include your name.
If you contact us with a question or comment about our products, services, or Site, we may require certain information so that we can help you, such as your name, email address or phone number. We use the information you provide to respond to your question or comment.
Sharing your recipes and testimonials.
Heritage offers its members the opportunity to share their recipes with other users. If you choose to share your recipes, those recipes will be published on our Site together with your first name, last initial, and jurisdiction of residence. Once a recipe is published it can be seen by other Site users and is available to the general public. Recipes may be shared with the first name last name initial of the person who submitted them, along with any story they choose to submit with their recipe. Other users may choose to use this recipe in their electronic and printed cookbooks.
Heritage may also create its own photos of these recipes and associate our photos in order to post the photographs on the Site
If you submit a testimonial, we may publish it on our Site or in our advertising materials, together with your first name, last initial, and jurisdiction of residence and the date of the testimonial.
We may also share submitted recipes, photos and testimonials on social media outlets including but not restricted to Pinterest, Google plus, Facebook and Twitter. If you do not want to have your recipe, name, and story shared in this manner, please do not choose to share this material.
Other uses of personal information
We may also use your personal information to investigate security breaches or cooperate with government authorities pursuant to a legal matter. We may use personal information to for credit, or fraud prevention and to protect our company, our Site, and our customers. This includes investigating and remediating fraud or other suspected illegal activity. For example, we may use information to detect intrusions into our network. We might share our server logs, which contain visitors’ IP addresses, with investigative authorities who could use that information to trace and identify you. We may also use personal information for any other purpose permitted or required by applicable law.
Personal information collected online may also be combined with information you have provided to Heritage through other sources such as over the telephone.
3. When we share personal information:
From time to time we engage unaffiliated third parties and their affiliates, agents and subcontractors (“Service Providers“) to perform services for us. The personal information that the Service Provider receives is limited to the personal information held by us that they need in order to render their service to us.
We reserve the right to transfer any personal information we have about you in the event that we or any part of our business merges with or is acquired by a third party, or if any such transaction is proposed.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties if we have reason to believe that disclosing such information is necessary to: (i) conduct investigations of possible breaches of law; (ii) identify, contact, or bring legal action against someone who may be violating an agreement they have with us; or (iii) to protect our rights, safety or property. Lastly, we may disclose your personal information for any other purpose to which you consent, or which is permitted or required by law.
4. How we collect information using technology
The information that we or our service providers may collect through electronic means may include:
- your domain name,
- the time of your visit,
- which pages of our Site you visit and what features and links you click or use,
- what advertisements you view or interact with,
- how you interact with communications we send you, such as whether you open an email we send you,
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address,
- your Internet Service Provider (ISP),
- the Operating System (Windows, Macintosh, etc.) you use,
- the web browser (Netscape, Internet Explorer, etc.) you use, and
- the identity of the website you visited immediately before coming to our site.
We may use this information to help us:
- Manage our website,
- Diagnose any technical problems,
- Track click streams, measure, monitor, and report on website traffic and page views,
- Determine how visitors arrive at our Site and interact with our content, including determining which of our advertisements are the most effective,
- Remember you if as you navigate through our Site, and if you return too it, and
- Improve the content of our Site.
We may use this information to serve you advertising both on our Site, and on third party sites such as social media sites. We and our suppliers may engage in interest-based advertising using information gathered across multiple websites, devices, or other platforms. We may use and share this information, including your Personal Information such as email address, with third parties (for example, advertisers, advertising agencies, advertising networks, social media sites, data exchanges, etc.) for custom audience creation and targeting on social media sites. Third parties may set and access their own cookies, clear gifs and other tracking technologies in order to help us or these third parties deliver tailored material when you visit our Site or third party sites based on predictions about your interests generated from your online activities across websites.
We may create profiles by analysing your Personal Information, and other information, such as information about your searches on our Site, what pages you view, your behaviour, and your interactions with our material, and use this information to create groups that have certain common characteristics and place your information in one or more of these groups or segments. These segments are used to personalise our Site, advertising and communications, both on our Sites, and third-party websites. We or our suppliers may also use this information and segments or other information our suppliers have about you to locate and target others we think may be like you and deliver tailored content on our Site or other third party sites such are social media sites (“lookalike audiences”).
You can opt-out of targeting using your email address by unsubscribing from our commercial email.
You may also opt out of certain online advertising and tracking using the tools on the following websites:http://www.youradchoices.ca and http://www.networkadvertising.org. We do not operate or control these websites, and we are not responsible for the opt-out choices available there.
Most browsers provide you with information and control over cookies. You can set your browser to alert you when a cookie is being used, and accept or reject the cookie. You can also set your browser to refuse all cookies or accept only cookies returned to the originating servers. Users can generally disable the cookie feature on their browser without affecting their ability to use the Site, except in some cases where cookies are used as an essential security feature necessary for transaction completion.
Embedded pixels. Heritage may also use embedded pixel technologies on selected pages for the purposes of identifying unique user visits to the Site, as opposed to aggregate hits, and to identify the pages viewed.
5. How to Opt-Out of certain uses of your Personal Information
You can opt-out of certain of our online tracking and analytical tools, including our use of Google Analytics, by using the links we provide in section 4 above.
If you receive commercial email from us, you may opt-out by using the ‘unsubscribe’ tool at the bottom of such messages.
Heritage is committed to protecting the security of the personal information we control. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures, including organizational, technological, and physical measures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure.
Heritage has implemented electronic means of protecting your personal information. We store personal information behind a computer firewall, a barrier designed to prevent outsiders from accessing our servers, and we have implemented technology to detect intrusions. We also require you to enter a password to access your account information. In addition, Heritage protects your personal information from unauthorized physical access by storing your personal information in a controlled facility.
Personal information may be accessed by persons within our organization, or our third party service providers, who require such access to carry out the purposes indicated above. Personal information we collect is maintained with the source of the information in North Virginia, USA.
Even though Heritage has taken steps to help ensure that your personal information is not intercepted, accessed, used, or disclosed by unauthorized persons, you should know that we cannot fully eliminate security risks associated with personal information. No security measures can provide absolute protection. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us.
7. We may transfer personal information outside your country
Some or all of the personal information we collect may be stored or processed on servers located outside of Canada or your jurisdiction of residence, including in the United States and the European Union. Your personal information may be processed and stored in the United States or the European Union and the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of the United States or the European Union may be able to obtain disclosure of your personal information through a lawful order made where the information is located.
By providing us with personal information, you understand and expressly agree that we may transfer it outside of Canada or your jurisdiction of residence. If you do not agree to the transfer of your personal information outside of Canada or your jurisdiction of residence, do not provide us with personal information.
8. How to Access and Correct your Personal Information
You have a right to request access to your personal information and to request a correction to it if you believe it is inaccurate. If you have submitted personal information to Heritage and would like to have access to it, or if you would like to have it removed or corrected, please contact us using the contact information provided below. We will use reasonable efforts to comply with your request; however, in some cases we may not be able to allow you to access certain personal information in certain circumstances, for example if it contains personal information of other persons, or for legal reasons. In such cases, we will provide you with a reasonable explanation of why it is not possible to grant access to your personal information.
To protect against fraudulent requests for access to your personal information, we may ask you for information to allow us to confirm that the person making the request is you or is authorized to access your information before granting access. For example, we may require you to verify your identity before you access your personal information.
9. Parental Permission
We encourage parents to take an active interest in their children’s use of the Internet. We do not intend to collect information from children who are under 13 years of age. If you are under 13, please do not provide us with any information on our Site. If you provide us with the personal information of another person who is above 13, but under the age of majority, you must have the consent of their parents/legal guardian to do so.
If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child who has provided us with personal information themselves, you may ask to review or delete this information.
12. How to Contact Us
- access personal information that you have already provided to us so that you can correct or update it, or request that it be deleted;
- request the deletion of personal information regarding your minor child; or
Please advise us by contacting our Privacy Officer by writing to Heritage Cookbook c/o Ring Anderson Inc, 144 Garden Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M6R 1H7. You may also email us at [email protected]